my life is full of lists. it’s rewarding to complete and check, cross out, or highlight each item. (i even add & cross off things that i’ve done but forgot to add to the list!) it’s also a little overwhelming and sometimes a tactic of procrastination, rather than a blueprint for my week. i sometimes make a list then stare at it, freaking out about all the stuff i have to do by a certain time or date. it’s often counter-productive.
vacuum the house, scrub the tub, clean the windows, dishes, laundry, dusting….chores, groceries, inventory re-stock, orders to complete, books, music, movies, blog ideas, new items to make, garden chores, yard work, house projects……but lists just for fun & simple stuff? never! that’s why i decided to make a mini bucket list for this week. just 10 little things to do for fun. a reminder to slow down and enjoy the days while still checking off those looming to-do’s. 10 little things that will bring me a bit of joy. simple things.
so, remember my list?
- go on a moon walk
- have a drink with a friend
- read in my hammock at least 2 times this week
- braid my hair
- send a care package to a friend
- put new music on iTouch
- make a new dish (zucchini fritters?!)
- make something just for fun (sew, craft…)
- evening walk with the pups & neighbors
- snuggle & chat on the couch with mike for 1 hour (no tv)
the items in green are the ones i checked off my list last week. 5 out of 10…not to shabby! what did i learn? even when i’m planning (listing) fun things, it’s still a little too intimidating to make such a long list. so, although this was a fun little exercise, i think i’ll stay spontaneous… that being said, i have started another list of things i’d like to do just for fun, but i won’t limit myself to just one week!
drinks with a friend. this has become a weekly tradition with my friend talia and i LOVE it!
i broke out of my side messy bun kick for one day…then went right back to my messy side bun.
zucchini fritters…where have you been all my life?
here’s the recipe i used:
(from real mom kitchen)
- 2 cups grated zucchini squash
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place zucchini inside a tea towel or flour sack towel and squeeze out excess moisture.
- In a bowl, add zucchini and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the remaining ingredients. The mixture with be sticky and thick. Continue to stir, it will thin down. You want it to look like a thick cake batter.
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, divide batter into 6 mounds on the parchment using a spoon or ice cream scoop. Then flatten each mound with a spoon or your hand to form 4 inch rounds.
- Bake for 15 minutes or so, until the fritters are deep golden brown on the bottom. Then turn to broil and place on the second highest rack in your oven. Broil on high for a few minutes, you want to crisp them up but watch carefully so they won’t burn. Serve with ranch dressing, sour cream, plain yogurt, or marinara. Makes 6 fritters.
*these babies are seriously SO good! make them!
quality time with my man. this past weekend was full of quality time! looking forward to even more of this!
and…are you curious about the new (new to me) music i added to my iTouch? here are a few of the albums i added:
josh ritter. andrew bird. vampire weekend. beach house. beirut. neko case. grizzly bear. jenny lewis. camera obscura. michael franti. the civil wars.
my list goes on! this new music is keeping me going in the studio and while i walk. i am always amazed at how music can move and inspire me.